Anyone can cook
I am not a great cook. If i were alone , i can simply survive with soup and cereals. But no, i had to cook. At-least for the sake of my hubby and my son. Thanks to my marriage and my kid, i learnt to cook. Wooooo, what an achievement!
Of-course, it is an achievement!
for someone who did Zero cooking before
for someone who burnt her finger even while making a cup of Tea
for someone who had band-aids ready all the time
for someone who got blasted for making frequent calls asking for the same recipes
Oh ya , this is how i got started, never really had a habit of jotting down stuff. All i did
was call-ask-make n then forget ! and then call again and get blasted for ‘The repeat Telecast ‘ ! Oh comm’on, Excuse Me buddies ….i am a working women after-all , with no FREE time for writing ..!
Nevertheless , am finally blogging to keep these precious recipes. This blog is dedicated to all who want to make new delicacies for infants,toddlers,children,grand children and who so ever. Happy Cooking !
I am very very thankful to my dear hubby who used to patiently watch all the disaster in kitchen ,smile away and say ‘It’s ok , happens’ and bring more band-aids home . I also thank him for designing this website and for his continued support.
Disclaimer: Some of the instructions on this site are based on common practices followed from generations. There may or may not be scientific explanations for their use. User discretion is advised.
May 20 ‘ 2013 : am @ my moms place (Coorg /Kodagu) to attend my cousins wedding. A long three week break from work ! Hurray ! And i wanted to make use of every bit of this holiday by learning some easy healthy recipes for my toddler.The very first recipe she wanted to teach me was ‘Ragi Halwa’ /’Ragi Manni’ ( in konkani). This is a little different from ’Ragi Porridge‘. Mom said that my granny used to make this often but she only recalled this when she visited a baby next door. This was the daily food given to the four month old infant. Neighbours called it ‘Organic formula for baby’ which kept the baby hale and healthy !
Gyan on the goodness
Ragi : Rich source of fiber and Calcium , helps keep the body cool.
Jaggery : It is always better to consume jaggery as compared to sugar. Because, jaggery is made up of longer chains of sucrose. Therefore, it is digested slowly and energy release is also slow. Hence, energy is provided for a longer period of time and it not harmful for the body. Since jaggery is made up in iron vessels, it is also rich source of iron. It acts as a cleansing agent and cleans the lungs, stomach, intestines, oesophagus and respiratory tracts.
: Coconut milk is rich in medium-chain fatty acids
, which the body processes differently than other saturated fats. MCFAs may help promote weight maintenance without raising cholesterol levels.
- 1 cup of ragi
- 3/4 cup of Jaggery
- 1/4 cup pure ghee
- 1 tspn of cardamom powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
This makes a big portion of halwa for the entire family. Try this measure for your first make , once your are comfortable making this , switch to smaller measure.
- Soak Ragi overnight , this becomes almost double the quantity the next morning
- Wash throughly and drain out the water next morning ,Grind it with 1 cup of water until you get a smooth batter
- Sieve the batter using muslin cloth [This is to ensure that all the coarse mixture is left above and only the fine ragi milk is collected at the bottom so that it becomes easier for baby's digestion]
- Take a thick bottom pan , add ragi milk + coconut milk + ghee + jaggery + cardamom powder. Bring this mixture to boil stirring continuously on a low flame until the liquid thickness
- Once it reaches the required consistency remove from the heat
- Grease a deep bottom plate and pour the mixture . Add cashews on top
- Once the mixture cools down, Cut into small pieces
Egg burji , Boiled Egg, Omlette ….. what next ? Let’s try some egg curry this time! Do you know Eggs are good source of vitamin D ? An essential vitamin that most of us lack. A lack of vitamin D increases our risk for a range of conditions including brittle bones and cancer. Vitamin D supplementation is highly recommended by Pediatric associations for infants from birth onwards. As suggested by my ped , apart from the food sources i also give my toddler a vitamin D supplement.
Gyan on goodness
Eggs are an extremely nutrient-dense food. Eggs are a good source of antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. Eggs are an important dietary source of choline, a nutrient required for normal cell function. Research suggests choline may be important in early brain development and memory function.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup of grated coconut
- 1/2 cup of onion ( cut in small pieces)
- 1 tspn of coriander seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilly
- a pinch of tamarind
- a pinch of turmeric
- salt to taste
- Hard boil the eggs and keep aside
- Take a thick bottom pan, heat 2 tspn of oil and fry onion ( take 1/4 cup from the actual measure) + coriander seeds + red chilly for about 2-3 mins
- Grind the above fried ingredients with coconut + tamarind to a fine paste
- Add a little more oil to the same tava/pan and fry the remaining onion for about 2 mins
- Add the ground paste to this and bring it to boil
- Now add boiled eggs and boil for an other minute or so
Fruit Custard Dessert - It gets a little too boring for kids to eat fruits alone and they may not really empty the fruit bowl, try making it a delight by adding some custard to it. Kids will love this creamy texture on fruits and i am sure they will be come back for an other serving.
- Any kind / any number of fruits of your kids choice
- Custard powder – any flavour ( I have used strawberry and Mango)
- Few dry fruits ( raisins/cashews)
- Take 4-5 tspn of milk from 500 ml milk, add 2 big spoons of custard powder to this and make a thin paste.
- Bring the rest of the milk to boil and simmer it.
- Add 4-5 tspn of sugar to the milk and stir it until it dissolves
- Now add the custard paste to the milk and stir continuously for 2-3 mins / until it gets thicker
- Allow it to cool
- Cut all the fruits and keep aside
- Cut all the dry fruits into small pieces and keep aside
- Once the custard cools down , mix all of the above and refrigerate it for 15- 20 mins and serve chilled