Am back with a Banggg! Can’t believe itz been a year since I last posted ! Got really busy going back n forth around the world ;-).
Last May’13 I was in coorg for my cousins wedding, and this May’14 I am back again for my broie’s wedding :-). Allz well and now I got a beautiful SIL @ home. I simply love this month , not only because of wedding season also because I get to eat dozens of mangoes.
Mango : ‘King of fruits’ ,’The fruit of India’ – whatever you call it . It is everyone’s favorite.
Mmmmmmm… Mango Idly – A healthy eat !
I call this a winner ! This special recipe comes all the way from mumbai. Zillion thanks to Shakuntala aunty (my sisters MIL) for this
one which was a clear winner in every cooking competition .Also loved by everyone in the family. Thought will post this before we go – off season. I will be featuring this on a local channel next week.
Gyan on goodness
- Mango contains enzymes that help in breaking down protein. The fibrous nature of mango helps in digestion.
- The deadly combination of vitamin C, vitamin A and 25 different kinds of carotene keep your immune system healthy.
- Mango is rich in vitamin A. Mangoes help in promoting good eye sight, fights dry eyes and also prevent night blindness.
- 1 cup mango pulp (Preferrably Alphonso)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup chiroti rava
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 8-10 cashews (optional)
- pinch of cardamom powder
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a thick bottom pan, dry roast chiroti rava until golden brown and keep it aside.
Grind rest of the ingredients to make a very fine paste.Add this paste to roasted rava, to make a thick batter.
Add 1tspn of cardomom powder. Grease the Idly pan with ghee/oil. Fill all the portions and let it cook on medium flame for 20 mins. Garnish with roasted cashwes.
“Sunday Ho Ya Monday, Roz Khao Ande” …. – courtesy NECC , i have been watching this ADD ever since my childhood. As a kid i loved the Yolks ! I used to give away the egg whites for yolks, to my siblings. And now i continue to do it with my son ,coz he just doesn’t like yolk. He says ‘White for me, Yellow for you’.
You ‘ll have to time it right for a perfect hard boiled egg ! Perfect hard boiled eggs will take somewhere between 15-17 mins.
Gyan on goodness
Eggs are an extremely nutrient-dense food. Eggs are a good source of antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. Eggs are an important dietary source of choline, a nutrient required for normal cell function. Research suggests choline may be important in early brain development and memory function.
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add eggs to cold water, bring to boil until you see a crack on the shell ( takes approx 15- 17 mins)
- Remove from heat and plunge the eggs into cold water as soon as they are done.Remove the shell, cut into two halves , sprinkle some salt and pepper and serve
Menthe Fenugreek Dosa – An other variety of dosa. My sis is a dosa expert! She got all her experti from her mother-in-law. She can make dosa out of anything. One of her specialty is water-melon dosa. Menthe dosa is just one of its kind.
Gyan on goodness
Fenugreek seeds have been found to contain protein, vitamin C, niacin, potassium, and diosgenin.Fenugreek also has a long history of use for the treatment of reproductive disorders, to induce labor, to treat hormonal disorders and to reduce menstrual pain. It is an home remedy know to help reduce fever when taken with lemon and honey.Fenugreek has been known to increase milk production in lactating women. This was like an everyday food given to me during my confinement period.
- 1 bowl of Raw rice
- 1 tspn of Methi seeds
- 1/4 bowl of beaten rice (thick)
- 1 medium size jaggery
- a pinch of turmeric
- salt to taste
- Soak rice , methi seeds and beaten rice in separate bowls for 6-8 hrs/overnight. Use Luke warm water for soaking
- Grind all the soaked ingredients along with jaggery to make a smooth batter
- Add turmeric powder + salt to the batter and mix well
- Use the batter to make soft menthe dosas