Amrakhand – A popular variation of shrikhand, which is shrikhand blended with mango pulp.Mango Shrikand is a popular dessert in Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine and is usually served with Poori.Preparation of this dish is very simple but it takes some time to process yogurt.My husband is a big time fan of Shrikhand ! We usually buy out from the market, but this time I wanted to prepare this on my own to give it a Home-Made Tag and also for the much appreciation from my hubby.
- 3/4 cup of Mango Pulp(any kind that is sweet)
- 1.5 cups of Yogurt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of Cardamom powder
- 2-3 strands of Saffron
- Few pistachios or almonds to garnish
Place yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it overnight to drain out the whey from the yogurt. Blend yogurt,mango pulp,sugar,cardomom powder to a smooth texture. Garnish with saffron and pistachios.Refrigerate for an hour and serve chilled.
May 20 ‘ 2013 : am @ my moms place (Coorg /Kodagu) to attend my cousins wedding. A long three week break from work ! Hurray ! And i wanted to make use of every bit of this holiday by learning some easy healthy recipes for my toddler.The very first recipe she wanted to teach me was ‘Ragi Halwa’ /’Ragi Manni’ ( in konkani). This is a little different from ‘Ragi Porridge‘. Mom said that my granny used to make this often but she only recalled this when she visited a baby next door. This was the daily food given to the four month old infant. Neighbours called it ‘Organic formula for baby’ which kept the baby hale and healthy !
Gyan on the goodness
Ragi : Rich source of fiber and Calcium , helps keep the body cool.
Jaggery : It is always better to consume jaggery as compared to sugar. Because, jaggery is made up of longer chains of sucrose. Therefore, it is digested slowly and energy release is also slow. Hence, energy is provided for a longer period of time and it not harmful for the body. Since jaggery is made up in iron vessels, it is also rich source of iron. It acts as a cleansing agent and cleans the lungs, stomach, intestines, oesophagus and respiratory tracts.
: Coconut milk is rich in medium-chain fatty acids
, which the body processes differently than other saturated fats. MCFAs may help promote weight maintenance without raising cholesterol levels.
- 1 cup of ragi
- 3/4 cup of Jaggery
- 1/4 cup pure ghee
- 1 tspn of cardamom powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
This makes a big portion of halwa for the entire family. Try this measure for your first make , once your are comfortable making this , switch to smaller measure.
- Soak Ragi overnight , this becomes almost double the quantity the next morning
- Wash throughly and drain out the water next morning ,Grind it with 1 cup of water until you get a smooth batter
- Sieve the batter using muslin cloth [This is to ensure that all the coarse mixture is left above and only the fine ragi milk is collected at the bottom so that it becomes easier for baby’s digestion]
- Take a thick bottom pan , add ragi milk + coconut milk + ghee + jaggery + cardamom powder. Bring this mixture to boil stirring continuously on a low flame until the liquid thickness
- Once it reaches the required consistency remove from the heat
- Grease a deep bottom plate and pour the mixture . Add cashews on top
- Once the mixture cools down, Cut into small pieces
Fruit Custard Dessert – It gets a little too boring for kids to eat fruits alone and they may not really empty the fruit bowl, try making it a delight by adding some custard to it. Kids will love this creamy texture on fruits and i am sure they will be come back for an other serving.
- Any kind / any number of fruits of your kids choice
- Custard powder – any flavour ( I have used strawberry and Mango)
- Few dry fruits ( raisins/cashews)
- Take 4-5 tspn of milk from 500 ml milk, add 2 big spoons of custard powder to this and make a thin paste.
- Bring the rest of the milk to boil and simmer it.
- Add 4-5 tspn of sugar to the milk and stir it until it dissolves
- Now add the custard paste to the milk and stir continuously for 2-3 mins / until it gets thicker
- Allow it to cool
- Cut all the fruits and keep aside
- Cut all the dry fruits into small pieces and keep aside
- Once the custard cools down , mix all of the above and refrigerate it for 15- 20 mins and serve chilled