The day my mom got to know that i am due on October, she started collecting information from granny and her sisters as to how this mixed grain cereal is prepared. Was wondering why she was hurrying up in making it this early. She replied : My dear , am hurrying because you hail from ‘Switzerland of India’ ! [Any guesses as to which part of India is called so? Yes its COORG , my KODAGU]. Coorg has a very moderate climate all year round.Between the months of June and August, Coorg faces some heavy rainfall that leaves the weather of Coorg humid, wet and cool.And it becomes impossible to see one dry day to make this cereal.
This being a long process with no guaranteed weather, my mom prepared this while i was in my thrid trimester, so that she could have a relaxed mind in winter and give more time (if anything left) for baby and me.
Ragi : Rich source of fiber and Calcium , helps keep the body cool.
Wheat : Is the most important source of carbohydrate, it provides more nourishment for humans than any other food source.
Rice : An excellent source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin D, calcium, fibre, iron, thiamine and riboflavin.
Green gram : Highly rich in the qualities of vitamin A, B, C and E and calcium, magnesium and potassium.
The Making of Mixed grain cereal :
I don’t have step by step pictures of this, as this was made before i started this blog.
- 1/4 kg ragi
- 1/4 kg wheat
- 1/4 kg raw rice
- 1/4 kg green gram
- Soak ragi,wheat,raw rice – each of these in separate container overnight.
- Wash all the three throughly the next morning. i. Drain out all the water. ii. Sun dry raw rice for 1-2 days until it becomes crisp, keep aside. iii. Hang ragi and wheat in two different muslin cloths and leave it for a day iv. You will notice small sprouts in ragi and wheat v. Now Sun dry ragi and wheat for about 2-3 days until it becomes crisp, keep aside
3. In a pan , Dry roast green gram until golden brown.
4. Grind all the four (ragi-wheat-rice-green gram) one by one,until you get a fine powder.
5. Mix all the four and sieve using muslin cloth [This is to ensure that all the coarse mixture is left above and only the fine powder is collected at the bottom. The finer the powder,the easier it is to digest for the baby].
6. Refrigerate the refined powder in a air tight container. You can store this for upto 6-8 months.
Note : This 1 kilo of ingredients will result in 1/2 kilo (or lesser) of fine powder.